Friday Aug 4th
Highlights of the day included;
1. Taking a taxi to St Ignace & spending 4 hrs in a medical clinic for Nellie to get some drugs for an infection (nothing urgent).
2. Biking around Mackinaw City looking at expensive houses & the Mac Bridge (we will go under it tomorrow ! )
3. Watching the Sheppler’s, Mackinac Island ferry boat negociate tight turns at their dock (my dream job).
3. Biking to & walking thru a local outdoor indian fair with lots of Furs & Wooden hade made items.
4. Dinner at a unique bar – The Keyhole Bar & Grill.
Mackinaw City Bike Ride
Mackinac Island Ferry Video = https://youtu.be/R3tz2Sf7-Kg
Outdoor Indian Fair
Keyhole Bar & Grill
Saturday August 5th (Mike’s Birthday !)
Highlights of the day included;
1. I received about 25 birthday wishes via, Facebook, Texts, and Calls (thanks a bunch everyone). Some from FCA folks I had not spoken to in 2 years, some from ole family I had not spoken to even longer (Mississippi cuz Judy Murphree Brackeen). I am not a frequent Facebook user, but it sure is good for birthdays !
2. We spent the day with new friends, and current Loopers “Tom & SueAnn Rushing” from Galveston Texas. They began their Loop last November out of Mobile Alabama. We also learned that they were very close Looping friends with the people we bought our boat from, Dave & Michele Sylver. We spent the day on Mackinac Island with Tom & Sue Ann. We all took our bikes on the ferry and went on a nice Mackinac ride seeing sites such as the Arch Rock, Fort Mackinac, and the Grand Hotel. We experienced the Grand Buffet Lunch at the Grand Hotel and had drinks in the rocking chairs on the balcony of the Grand Hotel. About 3 pubs later, we were on the ferry ride back to Mackinaw City when we received a video call from family attending the wedding of our cuz Jayme Cicchelli to Mr. Don Blevens. We understand that we missed a grand party, Congrats Jayme & Don !
6 thoughts on “Mackinaw City & Mackinac Island – Aug4/5”
Hi Mike & Jonell.
Love this blog. Sorry we didn’t know about it sooner. We would have been at the marina on 7/15. If you have the opportunity to stop in Elk Rapids do it. Great little town and the marina is off Lake Michigan and really clean and nice. It’s a great little town. It’s before Traverse City.
At the end of February we will be in cocoa beach, FL. ( by the space center) I will check to see where you are at. We love the port by the space center.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thx Stoker, appreciate you following the blog and the input regarding locations.
We will probably will not get deep into grand traverse bay to see Elk Rapids. The plan at this 5 min is Beaver Isl next, Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor, maybe Charlevoix, Leland, then Frankfort Ashley is meeting us in Frankfort and we are getting a little behind schedule. We are attempting to stay near the mouth of little traverse & grand traverse, and not go deep into the bays. I don’t think we will be as far north as Cocoa beach by the end of Feb, but let’s stay in touch around that time, maybe we can hookup. Maybe you guys can drive further south for a day or two (Hollywood/Boca Raton).
C ya Stoker
Mike & Nellie
Happy belated birthday!!
The BD was a very great day yesterday.
The flat top is turning into a round mop. No barbers in Mackinaw City
Thx for the BD wishes
Are you going to be in Charlevois? At Marina – when? Do you remember talking to my friends Adrienne and Carlo about their boat? They’re in Charlevois this week. They think it’s great what you two are doing.