Well, it has been 6 weeks already and yesterday we crossed the state line out of Michigan into Indiana. Check out our GPS Tracker Link – expand to see the entire Loop https://share.garmin.com/GettinLooped2017
We thought it would be a good time to give our friends/family a summary of the first 6 weeks on the Loop. It was really nice to get to know our home state of Michigan much better. We had not spent much time on the west coast of Michigan, and we were both very impressed with the boating towns on the west side of the state.
Here is a recap of the first 6 weeks of the Loop – 17 Ports
1. Algonac – farewell with Vrabel’s, Cooks, and Herzog’s
2. Lexington – meeting with Luchkovitz’s , Deloneys, nice marina, beach vollyball
3. Harbor Beach – quiet town, nice bike ride, deer, Smallie’s Bar & Grill
4. Caseville – Grobbel’s Cottage, Agar’s Yatch Club, sea plane, violent storm
5. Harrisville – quiet town, nice bike trail, Shot Maker’s Bar/Grill
6. Presque Isle – Crystal clear water, Aunt Angie-Kathy-Dan, Mike’s Family drives from Royal Oak to Alpena, Dan Engagement, car breakdown + John/Mary Alice Krajanta ride, Waterfalls, Light Houses, Dinghy ride to Albany ship wreck
7. Cheboygan – Mulligans restaurant
8. Mackinaw City / Mackinac Island – New Looper friends Tag Team & Pharm Life, Lunch/Drinks at Grand Hotel with Tag Team, Outdoor Indian Fur Fair, Boating under the Mackinac Bridge
9. Beaver Island – Crystal Clear Water, Beautiful Island w/ lots of morman history, Incredible day long tour by Doug Edgar & Sharolyn, in a police car !
10. Harbor Springs – LARGE Boats, Beautiful flower lined homes, waterfalls in front yards, great downtown, new friends Oat & Rose Whitney.
11. Bay Harbor (+ Charlevoix & Boyne by car) – Road Trip with Shannon & Scott, Agar visit #3, Wrenched Back, disappointed that we did not boat to Charlevoix !
12. Leland – Wonderful Fish Town, Rick’s Café with Chubby Mary, new friends Bill/Deborah from Gross Pointe & Loopers Tim/Alice from Boston.
13. Frankfort (+Manistee by car) – Ashley/Dave visit, the OMNI road trip, Beach Day, Rainbows, Dinghy ride to lunch.
14. Ludington – Most Beautiful Harbor, Park Sculptures, Badger Ferry, Beer Fest, Flower Lined streets, gettin to know Tag Team even better (Tom/Sue Ann from Texas).
15. Grand Haven – Musical Fountain, Waterfront Music Concerts, Best Beach, Trolley Cars, Freightor on Grand river during dinner, Best Bike Trials & Boardwalk, Coast Guard City.
16. South Haven – Harbor Village, Idler Restaurant Boat, Best Waterfront Bar (Captain Lou’s), Best Theatre Value, Best Nightlife Entertainment, new friends Ken/Chris Smyth.
17. St Joseph – Best under rated town, Best Restaurant RyeBelle’s, nice downtown street art.
Mike’s Top 5
1. Grand Haven – The Musical Fountain, Waterfront Concerts, Best Beach, Trolley Cars
2. South Haven
5. Harbor Springs
(6. Beaver Island)
Jonell’s Top 5
1. Harbor Springs – Walk to Downtown, Best Boats, Beautiful Homes with waterfalls
3. Mackinaw City / Mackinac Island
5. Beaver Island
(6. Grand Haven)
Fuel/ Distance Stats
* $2700 in fuel so far
– approximately 750 gallons @ $3.60/gal
– approximately 700 miles
– approximately 0.93 mpg / 11 GPH @ 10-11mph
Next Stop Chicago = Sept 5,6,7